College Hockey Report, 1995 October 16

On April 1st, BU defeated Maine for the national title. Since then, we've waited, we've bided our time, it's been a long six and a half months, but at long last the time is upon's College Hockey season again. And this weeked Southern California got its annual dose of the college game with the seventh annual Great Western Freeze-Out.

The first semifinal, at the Forum in LA, pitted defending champion Maine against the CCHA's Miami University of Ohio. It looked early on like the Black Bears, last year's NCAA runnerup, would dominate, as Maine's Tony Frenette scored just 13 seconds into the contest. But the Redskins wouldn't go down that easy, coming back from 3-1 and 5-2 deficits to close the margin to a single goal. But in the end the Hockey East powerhouse staved them off, as Scott Parmentier scored his second goal short-handed with three minutes remaining in the third to put Maine up 6-4. Miami scored late, but in the end they were one break short of the upset, falling 6-5.

The other semi pitted Hockey East doormat Boston College and Michigan State of the CCHA. The Eagles spent much of the first period on the offensive, outshooting the Spartans 12-8, but came away with nothing, as Michigan State led 2-0 at the intermission. Anson Carter made that 3-0 on a short-handed breakaway in the second, but BC came back with Tom Ashe's shorthander, and David Hymovitz scored on the power play to bring the Eagles to within 3-2 in the third. Late in the game, though, the Spartans put it away with two goals in two minutes: Chris Bogas assisted on Richard Keyes's second score and then lit the lamp to ice the Spartans' 5-2 victory.

The consolation at the Pond of Anaheim Sunday was the one laugher of the weekend, as BC once again failed to capitalize on their early offensive opportunities. Miami's Eustace King was excellent between the pipes as well, shutting out the Eagles for the first 52 minutes, while Redskin Tim Leahy scored two goals and Randy Robitaille had a goal and two assists in Miami's 7-1 victory.

Michigan State and Miami pulled out all the stops in the Championship game at the pond later that afternoon. Carter set up Keyes on the power play to give the Spartans a 1-0 lead at the first intermission. The Black Bears stepped up in the second and Lovell lit the lamp twice on the power play and Maine Goalie Blair Allison squeezed Keyes on a penalty shot. MSU had a chance to turn the tide midway thru as Maine's Trevor Roenick went off with a double minor. But it was the Black Bears who capitalized as Parmentier scored on the shorthanded breakaway for a 3-1 lead. After Dan Schermerhorn just missed on a breakaway of his own a minute later, Michigan State's Jeff Kozakowski finally converted the man advantage to pull back within one. But that was as close as they'd get as the teams exchanged goals in the third, and Maine prevailed 4-3 to take their second straight Freeze-Out trophy and their fourth since its inception in 1989.

With the College Hockey report, this is Joe P------k, Mr. Squishy Sports.

Last Modified: 1995 October 16
Joe Schlobotnik /